Specifications for Facebrick: Conforms to ASTM C 216-13 Standard Specification for Facing Brick (Solid Masonry Units Made From Clay or Shale) Grade: SW, MW
Specifications for Paving Brick: Conforms to ASTM C 902-13 Standard Specification for Pedestrial and Light Traffic Paving Brick Class: SX, MX, NW, with Moulded Brick Alternate 4.1.5 Type: II, III (All Old Carolina® Facebrick can be used as paving brick)
Specifications for Thin Brick: Conforms to ASTM C 1088-10 Type TBA
PRACTICE FOR CLEANING OLD CAROLINA® HANDMADE BRICK
DO NOT PRESSURE WASH OR CLEAN WITH A WIRE BRUSH. BUCKET AND BRUSH CLEANING IS RECOMMENDED. ALWAYS CONDUCT A TRIAL TEST ON A SMALL AREA BEFORE PROCEEDING.
Recommended Cleaning Compounds:
Cape Charles, Carters Grove, Dumaine, Gold Hill Colonial, Jefferson College, Londontowne, Old Post Office, Parkridge, Tryon, Williamstowne, Whiltshire
600 Detergent -Sure Klean Co.
202 Detergent -Diedrich Technologies
Bessemer Grey, Cambridge, Charlestowne, St. Michaels
Vana Trol - Sure Klean Co.
202V - Diedrich Technologies
Brunswick, Georgetowne, Low Country, Savannah Grey, Seabrook
Clean Water and Medium Bristle Brush Only (No Acid and No Pressure Wash)
NOTE: IF COLORED MORTAR IS USED, DO NOT USE ACID.
Bucket and Brush Method:
- Wait for mortar to harden. It is possible to start cleaning operations 5 to 7 days after completion of masonry work, depending on the type of brick and weather (drying) conditions.
- Remove all large mortar particles with hand tools before applying water or cleaning solutions. This is a very important point in cleaning new masonry. Don't expect cleaning solutions alone to remove large particles of hardened mortar. Cleaning solutions will only remove thin smears.
- Mask and otherwise protect adjacent metal, glass, wood, etc. surfaces as recommended by product manufacturers.
- Saturate the wall with clean water. The area to be cleaned must be saturated as well as all masonry areas below. A saturated wall will not draw particles from its surface into brick pores. Use water generously.
- Use brush to apply cleaning solution to saturated wall. Start cleaning at the top. Concentration and method of application should be as recommended on container or by manufacturer. Cover small area, using long handled fiber brush. Scrub brick, not joints. Allow solution to remain on wall three to six minutes (or as recommended on label) as workmen scrape and scrub vigorously.
- Rinse thoroughly as small areas are cleaned. To avoid rapid evaporation of water on areas being cleaned, keep crew just ahead of sunshine.